What is the Audio Override option?
The Audio Override option gives you the ability to manually override the audio effects in a Style with your choice of one audio effect that’s applied to the entirety of your recording.
Who can use the Audio Override option? Do I have to be VIP?
Anyone in the Smule community can use the Audio Override option. You do not need to be VIP. Whether you are the song opener or the person joining, you can override the audio effects in a Style by selecting one audio effect to be applied to your part of the recording.
Is the Audio Override feature available for iOS and Android?
Audio Override is currently available for both iOS and Android
Will the Audio Override setting be turned on by default?
It will not be turned on by default. If you’d like to have the option made available, you can easily switch it on by visiting your profile settings in Smule. You can find full instructions, below.
How do I turn on the Audio Override option?
- Visit the ‘Profile’ tab in Smule and tap the ‘Settings’ button on the top left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to the ‘Recording Experience’ header, which can be found below your ‘Account’ information.
- Find ‘Show Audio Filter Overrides’ and toggle the slider on (it will turn green).
- The next time you create or join a song invite, you’ll see a ‘filter’ icon on the right side of your screen.
- Tap the ‘filter’ icon to explore the audio effect options you can choose from for your part of the recording.
- Select the audio effect you’d like to use and start singing! Keep in mind, the effect you choose will be applied to the entirety of your recording.
- Once you’ve recorded, you’ll be able to see your selected audio effect above the Style icon and can make adjustments there.
- The option to override will be available to you on the recording and review screens. If you want to remove it as an option, go back into your ‘Settings’ and toggle the slider off.
If I override the audio effects, will it change my duet partner’s recording?
No, when you override the audio effects it only impacts your part of the recording. Your duet partner’s recording will not be changed - whether they recorded before or after you.
Can I make adjustments to my selected audio effect? For example, can I change the reverb amount and character?
As a VIP user, you have the ability to adjust the audio parameters for the single audio effect you’ve chosen. If you are not a VIP user, you will still be able to choose a single audio effect for your part of the recording but you will not have the option to adjust its parameters.
Will my chosen audio effect be visible to my duet partner or other singers in Smule?
No, it will only be visible to the user who has chosen to override the audio, during the recording and review processes.
Can I still adjust the parameters in the Style if I decide to override the audio effects?
If you choose to override the audio effects in a Style, you will not be able to adjust them through the exposed audio parameters. Instead, the audio effect you’ve selected will be applied to the entirety of your recording. You will still have the same ability to adjust any exposed parameters for effects that are not related to audio.
Will the audio override options be accessible on the Review screen?
Yes, you will have the option to override the audio effects in a Style on the pre-record and review screens. Once your recording is saved and posted, you cannot make changes to the effects.