Who can add a song to Smule’s Songbook?
How do I add a song to the Songbook?
- You first need a backing track of your song that doesn’t include vocals. For more details on the kinds of files, you can upload, see "I can’t upload my file. Why not?" below.
- Once you have that, sign into your Smule account at www.smule.com and click the green Upload button at the top right.
- Click the “Songbook” option on the right.
- Select and upload your backing track. Again, it shouldn’t include vocals so singers in the app can sing over it.
- Enter the title and artist of your song. If we already have it in our system, we’ll suggest a match. Also, you need to add Genre(s) and Tag(s).
- On the next tap, you should include lyrics to your song. Enter the lyrics for your song. Then, you can choose which lines belong to which singing part for duets and groups. You can specify two parts for duets and between three and eight for groups; if you set duet parts without group parts, Smule will automatically adapt your duet parts for group singing, too.
- On the next and final screen, you will time your lyrics to the music. Tap the spacebar or click your mouse to indicate when the singer should see a given line on the screen. As soon as that line should appear, click it with your mouse or hit the spacebar. The speaker icon appears to show you what the singer would currently be singing.
- Once you’re done timing all the lines, click “Save” and your song will appear on your profile and in the “Community” section of Smule’s Songbook!
Can I add a song on my mobile phone or tablet?
No. You can only add a song on your desktop or laptop computer.
How can I edit a song I added?
First, log into the account you used to add the song. Then, go the Songs section of your profile and click on the song you want to edit. Next, click the “Edit Song” button at the top right of the page. After you've clicked this button, you'll find an option to delete your song, as well.
Can I add a song privately?
Nope. When you add a song to the Songbook, it's public for other singers to find and sing it.
How are songs that users add different from songs that Smule creates?
Users can time each line of a song's lyrics, whereas Smule's producers can time each syllable or word of the lyrics. In addition, Smule's producers add pitch lines to each song to tell singers which notes to sing throughout the song; this feature is not currently available for users adding songs to the Songbook.
Can I add a particular song I want to the Songbook?
Can I remove a song that I added to the Songbook?
You can delete your songs on Smule.com. First, sign in to your account and go to the Songs section of your profile. Next, click on the song you want to delete, and then click the “Edit Song” button at the top right of the song page. You will find an option to delete the song. This removes the song from the Songbook.
Can I see if the community is singing my song? What about other stats?
Yes! Log into www.smule.com and go to the Songs section of your profile. Click on the song you're interested in. On the right side of the page, you can see how many recordings users have made of your song. You can also see how singers have rated your song and what suggestions they may have for how you can improve it.
How can I learn more about the Songbook?
For more specific information about the Songbook, please visit the Uploading FAQ.